Tuesday, April 24, 2007

South Africa




Oh fabulous venture! I finally get to listen to the “Graceland” album while walking the streets of South Africa. I have secretly wanted to do this since I was nine. I have since discovered that a childhood dream fulfilled doesn't compare to experiencing the people of an unfamiliar country. And how truly touched I am by the openness of the people of Johannesburg. It has been such a delight to be in this country once I got past the constant need for high security (the crime rate is extremely high). This is my third venture as a consultant for equip and I think I may be finally getting it right. It is my first time working with women, both as consultant and client. My client is absolutely delightful to work with - such honesty, such vulnerability and humility. I am excited to see how God transforms her life and uses her company.
On Sunday I had the privilege of visiting a prominent black community called Soweto, the launching place of Nelson Mandela and black empowerment in South Africa. In one of the poorer neighborhoods, we visited the home of Gogo, or Grandma, as many affectionately call her. A local ministry works closely with Gogo and her neighborhood's many impoverished children to provide food, education and basic sanitary needs such as outhouses. Her front yard has a large trampoline upon which several of the neighborhood children were jumping when we arrived. And what beautiful children! One girl, Wendy, befriended me and practiced her English. I placed a decorative comb in her hair to remind her of how beautiful she is.
It was such a blessing to see God’s heart for the people of Soweto through servants like Gogo. It was a heartbreaking yet hope-filled experience for all the consultants.


Below: Teju, Gogo and me in the "ugly shirt"; David, out of control!; Lina (my roommate), me and Teju; Me, my co-consultant, client and friend of client; smorgasbord of meat at Soweto restaurant; trampoline!; Wendy and me; view of shantytown in Soweto.


















































No comments: